Sunday 5 October 2008






First of all I would like to say that impressionism is the tendency of art I enjoy most of all. In my opinion, it is really amazing that a huge amount of brushstrokes, sometimes even points, form a magnificent image. So, for the description I have chosen the picture of a famous French impressionist, Claude Oscar Monet. He was one of the leading figures in this movement of art. It was his picture ”Impression. Soleil levant ” that gave the name to the impressionism. Claude Oscar Monet has also introduced a tendency to paint from the nature for the reason it could help a landscape look bright and lively.

Well, I am going to describe one of the most famous pictures of this artist called ”Lady in the garden” that was painted in 1867. Firstly, the composition is built on the contrast of colours. I mean, the light image of the woman is opposed to her dark shade and the effects of sunlight on the leaves seem impressive on the dark background of the shady line of trees on the left. I suppose that this picture represents the early morning when we see the distinction of the light and the shade clearly.

This picture is painted in oils, we can even see the brushstrokes. Moreover, it seems to me that he uses points. On this picture we can see only primary colours such as red (that is presented on the leaves), yellow( we can see it in the effects of sunlight), green( we can find it when we look at the grass ) and blue( is used to draw the sky and the lady’s dress).

Moreover, I think that the composition of this picture is quite rational. In the centre of the canvas the artist placed the tree surrounded by the red leaves, on the left we can see the light figure of the woman ,whereas on the right we can find the bush that is also painted in light colours. Secondly, the dark line of the trees on the left is balanced by the blue sky. I mean everything is symmetrized to the centre.

This landscape seems to be really lively and colourful. It depicts the state of nature in the early morning when everything seems to be waking up. I suppose that one may come in this garden to think over his life or to make a decision.

No comments: